With the recent closure of the militia headquarters and Captain Undertone’s extended leave, it has come to the attention of the Maceholder’s office that the Volunteer Militia has been showing increasing signs of (I’m going to go with) inattention. Looked at one way, this should be seen as a victory – the militia’s strength has thus far deterred our foes. But the threats to our City have not disappeared, and should we allow our strength to wane those threats may surface once again.
((OOC: most of the folks who were officers last year don’t come around much anymore, but I’ve had a few folks express interest in getting involved, so I figured it was time to reinvigorate things a bit. ))
The City hereby announces these reforms, to take effect immediately:
- Unify the signals corps. ((Let’s have one inworld group for all militia branches, not several. We don’t have enough participation to support more than one, and RL distraction can kill certain branches easily.))
- All officer commissions are hereby released (with the exception of Commodore Dagger), with the grateful thanks of the City.
- Open a Militia Recruitment office in City Hall. ((Underway.))
- Militia enrollment is now available to the public. ((Join the militia group, get a rifle and a uniform for one or all branches.))
- Recruit a new officer corps. Any serving militia member holding property in the City may apply to the Maceholder’s Office (or to a Captain) for a commission in any of the four branches. Officer responsibilities include the following:
- Represent the Militia – and the City – with pride, in keeping with New Babbage’s traditions, and obey the officers Rules of Conduct.
- Respect lawful orders from the Clockwinder, Maceholder, and senior officers.
- Commissions automatically expire after six months, but can be renewed. Commissions can be revoked for cause at any time.
- Organize or preside over at least one militia event every month. Event ideas:
- Combat exercises. Naval, aerial, or land-based combat exercises, like the navy’s Iron Melee last year.
- Build contests. Contests to design and build vehicles or equipment for the militia.
- Parades, exhibits, and social events. ((Descending on the Bucket for drinks would count.))
- RP events. Patrols, exploration, air kraken hunting parties, reconnaissance actions – all are valid ideas. The militia is not a police force, but can be summoned for RP purposes as well.
Facilities and Military Contracts
The Maceholder’s office will authorize the construction of aerial, naval, and land-based practice ranges, to allow militia members to independently (or with groups) practice their skills in and around New Babbage at any time.
The Recruitment Office will feature kiosks for the purchase of militia-related vehicles, equipment, uniforms, and supplies, for those wishing to build or sell official Babbage Militia merchandise. ((We’ll also sell real-world t-shirts (and mugs and bumper stickers).)) Contact Aeolus Cleanslate for more information.
That is all.