Home Forums News from City Hall OF2021 – More Street Names

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Mr Tenk

I don’t want to go full speed on this year’s Oiling Festival until Fantasy Faire is over, but there are things that need to get done.

First up: Mr Pearse has attached his new map on my desk with a Crocodile Dundee sized Knife which must mean he wants more street names.

Please come up with some more street names by replying to this thread or on the Discord (Discord replies will be pasted here for record keeping)

Note: the first round of street names, in my opinion, was far to serious with memorializing names of famous engineers. We need more whimsical names for balance.

Tepic Harlequin
        Participant

How about Sizzle Snake Street, for one of the streets between two canals, can just imagine the street filling with snakes during migration…..

Junie Ginsburg
          Keymaster

Marth Street

Abigail Street

Emperor’s Bottle Lane

Drunkard’s Loop

This Way

That Way (or Thatta Way)

The Other Way

Hyperbole Avenue

Quantlin Place

Cinderberry Avenue

Ratcatcher Lane

Lost Spanner Way

Sugar Run Crescent

Edward Pearse
            Participant

Need one in Quarry Hill called All Your Ducks In A      Row.

Reyzadren
              Participant

Sheobedauf Route
                Averg Traversal
                Daithmurks Intersection
                Aeshaeirs External Signatory

Vic Mornington
                Participant

A “Close”, or “Wynd” is old scots for a small lane or small street between two buildings…

Rookit Close (Rookit = no money)

Smiddy Wynd (Smiddy = slang for Blacksmiths)

Coopers Close

Heckling Wynd (nope, not that type of heckling, old slang for a flax spinner)

Edward Pearse
                  Participant

Beq has suggested that the street between Upper Riemann Street leading to the Voom Electric Trust as “Electric Avenue”.

I have made an executive cartographic decision and added it in. Don’t care if you disagree it’s staying.

Beq Janus
                    Participant

Thank you Edward.

I was further musing over some of the street names for Edward’s map (hmm perhaps Mews-ing is a better term).
                      There is an alleyway that runs along the border of palisades and academy, between my Horta property and Victor’s Hotel.

It seems to me that an alleyway that sits down the side of a hotel and emerges on one side towards the high wall of the city would be suited to many unsavoury transactions.

Prostitution: Of course nothing like that happens in New Babbage and as we are upstanding victorian-ish types, so we would never accept vulgar historically popular terms such as “Gropecunt alley”. The common 19th century replacement in the UK was Lover’s lane but that is so bland it leaves much to be desired. We can do better. We can easily go with a lazy blame the ladies option along the lines of  “slattern alley”, but how about switching the roles around? A nod to the drunken “client” who may end up rather the poorer than he expected “Jacktar’s folly”. Or there’s a rather nice late 19th-century term “Gal sneaker” referring to a seducer of young ladies, “Galsneaker Alley” has a nice ring. A close relative of that term relates more to the “pimp” side of the equation, and has a somewhat Scottish ring to it, “Macdaddy passage”.

Alternatively, there’s Smuggling: Not that there is anything smuggled, or in any sense, not 100% paid for and legitimate in Mr Mornington’s establishment. But perhaps we might consider those that move by night, in the shadow of the watch, “Gentleman’s pass” fits well with Kipling’s poem, or perhaps, an allusion to the illicit alcohol production “moonlight passage”, though given that the hotel bar is known as a “watering hole” not only for the provision of drink, perhaps “Grog’s end” is more fitting.

Edward Pearse
                      Participant

New Babbage Map June 2021

Link to higher rez version.
                        New Babbage Map June 2021

I’ll upload a high rez version inworld. Should be able to read the names this time!

Edward Pearse
                        Participant

Inworld version is available at the Palisade Station and at the New Babbage Geographical Society in Clockwork Close.

Mr Tenk

Nicely done!

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Spread the love