Activities that could get your posts deleted and/or get you banned:
- Violating our Terms of Service.
- Trolling, which is the posting of intentionally inflammatory messages.
- Ad hominem and personal attacks. “Criticize the ideas, not the people”.
- Posting pornographic, sexually offensive, sexually explicit, or objectifying material.
- Posting Real Life information about others without their explicit permission. Respect the privacy of others.
- Using foul language in thread subjects.
Activities that could could get your posts deleted:
- Using deceptive or deliberately false subject lines.
- Posting information that has already been presented. Scan the discussions before posting.
- Posting in the wrong forum. There are three clearly defined forums, pick the one that fits your subject.
- Excessive use of foul language.
- Non-response or inflammatory responses to moderator decisions.
Things that could get your slideshow photos deleted:
- Posting images that are not related to New Babbage or RL steampunk.
- Posting advertising images. Those go in the Newsroom forum or your blog.
- Putting up an excessive number of photos of the same thing. Every time you add a photo, you push another one off. Put up the best ones, leave the almost-the-same ones behind.
(These restrictions only apply to images posted in the slideshow section, *not* the forum or blog areas)
Things that could get your event deleted:
- Listing an event that occurs outside New Babbage. (Those should be placed in the Parlour forum.)
- Events held in New Babbage may be listed as an event by using the Create Content: Event link in the right sidebar.
- Events held outside New Babbage may be promoted within the “The Parlour” using the “Forums” tab at the top of this (and every) page.
- The Google calendars you see embedded on the site are maintained by volunteers separately from the events listings. Please contact a Moderator to have an entry added.
- Read what you’ve written before you post it. Twice.
- If you’re angry while you’re writing a message, take some time, relax, and read it again before you post it.
- There are plenty of words out there that aren’t cuss words that will still set people off. Avoid using them.
- It’s okay for people to disagree with you, and you with them. Really. Just keep it civil.
- Avoid deleting posts that have replies.
- We have just three tools for moderation…. your cooperation, deletion of posts, and banning. The latter two we don’t like to use, but certainly will if warranted.
- The Blog section is not moderated on a post-by-post basis. However, be aware that we may have a chat with you if your blog posts continually violate the above standards.
- Many things are judgement calls by the moderators, that’s just the way things are.
- If you have issues with moderation, we want to hear about them. However, the thread where the moderation took place isn’t the place.
- Send private messages to any of the mods, and do so in a calm, reasoned manner.